Buses and Motor Coaches
The information below will help you plan and prepare to bring a motorcoach to Washington for the Inauguration.
- Get permitted: Many motorcoaches will need to obtain a Trip Permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles to operate in Washington, DC. Please visit the DMV website to find out if you need a trip permit and apply. If you have questions or need assistance, please call (202) 729-7083.
- Reserve Parking: All motorcoaches must register for parking. Registration is available here. Please call (202) 608-1113 if you have questions or need assistance. On the day of the event there will be no parking for motorcoaches without advance reservation.
- Know Before You Go: All operators must know the route to parking facilities as well as the walking directions to the event site. A map with driving directions to RFK Stadium is available here[PDF]. A map with walking directions from RFK Stadium to the National Mall and Parade Route is available here[PDF].
- Due to space restrictions, tour buses are prohibited from discharging passengers at Metrorail stations at any time. Additional information is available here.
- Each bus in your caravan should designate a Bus Captain responsible for tracking passengers during and after the festivities.
- All passengers must travel with their bus to the parking location. There will be no curbside passenger drop-off or pick-up for charter buses on inauguration day in the District of Columbia.
- Passengers should be prepared to walk. Passenger drop-off could range from 1 to 3 miles away from the events.
- Please provide a contingency plan for passengers. Designate a meeting place in the event passengers are separated from the group. Cell phone use may be limited.
- Traffic may be slow. Allow for additional travel time. The District and Metrorail are preparing for a large number of visitors.
- Prepare for temporary street closures. Traffic will be stopped for dignitary motorcades
- Check weather reports one to two days prior to your trip and advise passengers to dress accordingly.
- Advise passengers to pack light. Inaugural security will be strict and bags will be checked.
If you have any questions, please contact DDOT at (202) 673-6813 or (202) 671-2226.