Buses and Motor Coaches
The information below will help you plan and prepare to bring a motorcoach to Washington for the Inauguration. Please read this information carefully and check back often for further updates.
- Get permitted: Many motorcoaches will need to obtain a Trip Permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles to operate in Washington, DC. Please visit the DMV website to find out if you need a trip permit and apply. If you have questions or need assistance, please call (202) 729-7083.
- Reserve Parking: All motorcoaches must register for parking. Registration is available here. Please call (202) 608-1114 if you have questions or need assistance. On the day of the event there will be no parking for motorcoaches without advance reservation.
- Know Before You Go: All operators must know the route to parking facilities as well as the walking directions to the event site. DDOT will be providing routing and walking maps in preparation for the event.
- Due to space restrictions, tour buses are prohibited from discharging passengers at Metrorail stations at any time. Additional information is available here.
- Each bus in your caravan should designate a Bus Captain responsible for tracking passengers during and after the festivities.
- All passengers must travel with their bus to the parking location. There will be no curbside passenger drop-off or pick-up for charter buses on inauguration day in the District of Columbia.
- Passengers should be prepared to walk. Passenger drop-off could range from 1 to 3 miles away from the events.
- Please provide a contingency plan for passengers. Designate a meeting place in the event passengers are separated from the group. Cell phone use may be limited.
- Traffic may be slow. Allow for additional travel time. The District and Metrorail are preparing for a large number of visitors.
- Prepare for temporary street closures. Traffic will be stopped for dignitary motorcades
- Check weather reports one to two days prior to your trip and advise passengers to dress accordingly.
- Advise passengers to pack light. Inaugural security will be strict and bags will be checked.
A list of Frequently Asked Questions about bringing a motorcoach to the Inauguration is available here.
If you have any questions, please contact DDOT at (202) 673-6813 or (202) 671-2226.