On Inauguration Day, Friday, January 20, Metrorail and Metrobus service will be adjusted as follows:
- Metrorail will open at 4 am and close at midnight. Peak fares will be in effect from 4 am until 9 pm. After 9 pm, off-peak fares will be in effect.
- Five of Metro's 91 stations -- Archives, Mt Vernon Square, Federal Triangle, Smithsonian and Pentagon - will be closed due to enhanced security measures.
- For 17 consecutive hours -- from opening until 9 pm -- trains will run frequently on all lines, including "Rush Plus" service on the Yellow Line between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt.
- Metro recommends that riders plan their trip to the National Mall without transferring between lines. There is a station near the National Mall on each Metro line.
- Riders planning to use Metro are encouraged to purchase their SmarTrip card in advance to avoid long lines on Inauguration Day. (Each rider age 5 or older needs his/her own SmarTrip card to enter and exit the system.) Before January 13, visit wmata.com/inauguration to purchase a special $10 one-day pass good for unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus trips on Inauguration Day.
- Metrobus will operate "Saturday Supplemental" service (Saturday schedule with additional trips on selected routes). Check wmata.com for details.
- Approximately 50 routes will operate with detours due to Inauguration events and road closures. Expect delays and detours. Please allow additional time.
- Routes that normally cross the National Mall will turn around at special locations outside the secure area; use Metrorail instead. Visit wmata.com/inauguration for information.
- Temporary bus stops will be marked around the security perimeter of the event where bus routes will end.